This simple and easy, yet rich and delicious soup is one of my current favorites. Great for a cold winter day or for a lazy weekend. Butternut Squash with it’s sweet and nutty taste brings out the best flavor and texture you’d ever want in a soup.
Total time: 30 min
Here’s what you need:
- 1 butternut squash (pealed, outer layer removed and chopped into 1 inch cubes)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped roughly)
- 2 inch piece of ginger (chopped roughly)
- 1 scallion (chopped roughly)
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups water (or as needed)
- Salt to taste
- crushed black pepper to taste
- sugar to taste
- heavy cream 3 tbsp
- 5 tbsp juice from fresh orange
Here’s what you do:
- Heat butter in a saucepan.
- Add in the chopped scallion. Cook until fragrant. ~2 min
- Add in the ginger and garlic. Cook for approx. 2 min
- Now add in the cubed squash and mix it well so that the butter coats well. Cook for ~ 6-8 minutes
- Now add in the water and the broth and let it some to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the squash is tender. ~20 min
- Puree the soup in a blender.
- Add in salt, sugar and black pepper to your taste.
- Mix in the orange juice and cream.
- Serve hot.