Kalakand is a popular Indian sweet made with solidified, sweetened milk and cottage cheese (paneer). This sweet has a tendency of invariably getting my husband drooling and it gets consumed in absolutely no time. To my aid comes this quick and easy recipe to satiate those instant kalakand cravings made with the most easily gettable ingredients. Follow along for the recipe of Kalakand with made with evaporated milk. Quick Indian Dessert Recipe – Kalakand | Milk Cake
Prep time: 5 min
Total time: 30 min
Serves: 2 (makes about 10-12 pieces)
Here’s what you need:
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1/3rd cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 can shredded paneer (1:1 ratio with the evaporated milk)
- 2 generous pinch of cardamom powder
- 5 pieces of almonds
- 5-6 pieces of pistachios
- 3-4 saffron strands
Here’s what you do:
- Mix 1:1 ratio of evaporated milk and paneer.
- With mortar and pestle, roughly grind the almond and pistachios.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add the paneer and evaporated milk mixture.
- Add the saffron strands and cardamom powder.
- Keep stirring the mix on medium heat till the mix starts to thicken.
- Now add the sugar and keep stirring until it forms a soft dough like consistency and starts leaving the pan. (Took me about 30 min to reach that consistency).
- Spread it on a greased plate such that it is 1/2 inch thick and sprinkle the pistachios and almond mixture.
- Let it cool completely. (Once it reaches room temperature, I place the plate in the refrigerator to make cutting it easier.
- Cut into squares and serve.