Dal Makhani is a popular Indian dish originating the Punjab region. It’s rich, flavorful and creamy. Here is my low fat version of the recipe using a slow cooker/crockpot (easy, convenient and me happy 🙂 ). In this particular recipe I have skipped the cream but you can add it if you wish. I find the texture creamy enough even without adding it.
I can’t stop talking about how the slow cooker has eased up my life. No longer waiting until evening to prepare for dinner. I usually start putting things together in the crockpot/slow cooker in the afternoon and come dinner time, the food is already waiting HOT. The slow cooker I have is the Cuisinart MSC-400 3-in-1 cook central 4-quart Multi Cooker which steams, boils, browns/saute and slow cooks on low and high which is super convenient.
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 4 hours
Here’s what you need:
- 3/4th cup whole urad dal
- 2 tbsp kidney beans (rajma)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp butter (I used unsalted)
- 1 clove garlic, shredded
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 green chilly, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, ground with mortar and pestle
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, pureed
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- handful of cilantro for garnishing
- 3 cups water
Here’s what you do:
- Soak the urad dal + kidney beans in hot water for about 3-4 hours.
- After they are soaked, turn on the slow cooker on Brown/Sauté mode.
- Add in ghee and butter and let it heat for a min.
- Next add in the cumin seeds and ground coriander seeds and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the chillies and the shredded garlic and let it cook for a min.
- Next add in the onions and cook until translucent.
- Now add in the tomato puree and let it cook till the raw smell of the tomatoes disappears.
- Add in the red chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder and garam masala and let it cook for 2 more minutes.
- Now add in the soaked urad dal, kidney beans, chopped ginger, chopped garlic and water.
- Change the slow cooker mode to Slow cook High (4 hours) or low (7-8 hours) and let it cook.
- After the dal is soft and mushy i.e after the cooking cycle, add in the yogurt and cilantro and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or tandoori roti/naan.